Well, I always knew I was an emotional person, and I knew it's gotten worse since I had Gavin, but this is crazy! The "book man" came and put new books on display at work, and one caught my eye. Let Me Hold You Longer was sitting there, so I picked it up and couldn't even get through the first few pages without my eyes watering. I had to buy it, without even knowing how it ended. Just for Gavin.
I used to think the teachers that couldn't read Love You Forever without crying were exaggerating a bit...now I know exactly what they meant!
An excerpt from the book:
Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away and leave to me your past,
And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...
The last time that I held a bottle to your baby lips.
The last time that I lifted you and held you on my hip.
The light night when you woke up crying, needing to be walked.
When last you crawled up with your blanket, wanting to be rocked.
The last time when you ran to me, still small enough to hold.
The last time you said you'd marry me when you grew old.
Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past -
Would I have held on longer if I'd known they were your last?
Love you, Gavin!
No comments:
Post a Comment