How in the world can it possibly be the start of a new year already? I have so much to catch up on, but first, I want to reflect on the goals I made for last year and make new ones for 2016. That's the way we grow, right? By making goals, working on them, and charting our progress. So, let's reflect shall we?
I had four main goals for 2015, and looking at them now, realize I had mixed results. I wanted to get back to blogging, and for the first half or so of the year I felt like I was doing well! But, looking at it now, I realized I had fewer posts than even in 2015, so I obviously failed. And that makes me sad. I hate that I'm not documenting the specials we spend as a family, and hate that I'm not even using my camera much at all anymore. My iPhone has taken over. So...looks like blogging will be a goal yet again in 2016.
The other three goals I made - to be better at budgeting/saving, to cook more with the kids, and to continue to be a healthy role model and gentler parent - were successful. I spent a lot of time compiling price comparisons so I could make sure I was getting our groceries for the best prices, started using the Ibotta app to help me save even more on our groceries, and did really good with our weekly budgeting sheets until October. I'll have to try to make it through the holidays this time!
While Gavin doesn't cook with me often, I have started having him help out in the kitchen more at meal times so he's involved. He'll get silverware out, or drinks for everyone, for example. Where I excelled with this goal would be with Riley. After just a few times in the kitchen with me, she caught the bug and helps prepare meals probably four days out of the week. For Christmas, she asked for an Easy Bake Oven and 'cooking stuff' and Santa brought her a bin pull of her own, kid-sized cooking tools, like whisks, tongs, spatulas, and adorable measuring spoons and cups in the shape of hearts and butterflies. She is learning so much and I cherish those moments in the kitchen with her.
I am proud of the fact that, while not perfect, Jarrod and I continue to model healthy lifestyles for the kids with our fitness and nutrition. They love to exercise with us, and that makes me happy. Of course, they're kids, and so they don't always eat healthy and I wish they loved vegetables more, but I think it's a win that they both love to have salad with dinner. Baby steps...we'll get there.
So, how did I do on my bucket list...
1. Make a DVD of my Flip/iPhone videos - second year in a row that this did not happen, but we're getting closer. I at least know now that Walmart will transfer all my little tapes from our old video camera to a DVD...I just need to organize them and do it.
2. Overhaul craft closet - Um, yeah...again, a repeat task that didn't get done. I've decided that this one won't get accomplished until Riley's in school full time and I can be in the toy room all day by myself most likely.
3. Complete a half marathon - CHECK! While my goal was to finish in until 2:30 and without walking, I finished in 2:34 and did have to walk because my knee gave out in the downhill portion around mile 11, but I crossed that finish line and felt great about it!
4. Take a weekend road trip to a new place - Another fail. Boo!
5. Print another blog book - CHECK! Done.
6. Grow Team AIM to at least 15 coaches - Nope. Instead, I determined that while I loved coaching, Beachbody wasn't the right fit for me.
7. Make an effort to have two dates with Jarrod (outside the home!) - CHECK! I think we did more than two actually...maybe three. Haha!
8. Back up all my photos and create a system for organizing them - CHECK! All my photos are now backed up and organized on Dropbox. It was a huge task, but I am glad it's done.
9. Read 10 books (and actually keep track!) - CHECK! I did read 10 books last year. In fact, I read 13 (that I kept track of...maybe more). I joined GoodReads this year so I can be sure to keep track.
10. Donate my hair to Locks of Love - CHECK! Cut 9 inches off in September and donated it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.
11. Make a recipe binder/notebook - Nope...not yet.
12. Put cash into my savings envelopes every week, no matter how small - CHECK! Having cash for vacation and Christmas shopping was quite helpful.
Now...on to 2016!
My big goals for 2016...
1. Keeping blogging on the list. This one is important to me, and I'm sad I didn't do better last year.
2. Less Facebook and more 'face time.' I've realized lately that as the kids get older and we're not in playgroups and Mom's Club anymore, I'm spending less time with MY friends and I want to make an effort to have more time with other moms. Also, more FaceTime with family and friends that are far away.
3. Purge and organize. We're hoping that a move will be in our future in either 2016 or early 2017 as we're finally able to buy another home, and I would love to have less to pack. Getting rid of unnecessary things and feeling more organized would make me happy.
4. Be BETTER. That's pretty generic...but when I think about what I want, it really sums it up. Overall, I don't feel like I have a lot to change, but I know I can always improve. Be a better mom, a better wife, a better friend, a better AUNT (first time I can say that!), a better sister and daughter. Be better at communicating. Be better with Phoebe. Be better about using my time wisely. Just be a better version of Jen.
I'm still working on my bucket list. I'll add it here soon so I can hold myself accountable. 2016 can be amazing...make sure you take advantage of it and live every day to the fullest.
No comments:
Post a Comment