Pages

Jan 8, 2009

Goodbye, Gigi!

Where do I even start? My grandma was so wonderful. I have more memories of her than I can even begin to list. She was our only babysitter growing up. Grandma and Grandpa moved next door to us when Megan was born and never left.
She watched us when mom and dad worked, through the summers, and at night when they went out. Megan and I loved spending the night with her and grandpa. And the funniest thing was...we always packed a suitcase for the night, even though we were just walking next door!

She taught me how to play Solitaire, Rummy, and of course, Bingo. We had so much fun going to McNick on Sundays together for Bingo night. She never got a driver's license so she needed someone to take her to Bingo. When I got my license, I took her a lot. She was always prepared with her Bingo bag full of good luck charms!

I'll always think about her every time I drink a cup of hot tea. She started every morning with hot tea and toast. I don't remember my grandma ever going to a movie theater, yet she couldn't live without "her movie"...Days of Our Lives. She watched it daily, right up until mid-December. She knew the Brady's and Horton's better than anyone!

Grandma became Gigi the moment we found out we were expecting. I knew I wanted Gavin to call his great-grandma Gigi. And seeing Gavin was what lit up her life. She could be in pain and not be able to do anything, but the moment I walked in with Gavin, she perked up and reached for him. Her last days were spent with her in bed, surrounded by frames filled with pictures of Gavin, her little man. It makes me sad that Gavin will not be able to really get to know her.
After Grandpa died, it was weird to go home to visit my parents and pull in the driveway and not see Grandpa sitting on the porch. Now that Grandma's gone, I can't imagine what it will feel like that first time I pull in their driveway and see someone else living there. It won't be the same.

These are some of my favorite pictures of my grandma. I love you so much, Gigi. Remember, you have to keep our baby girl name a secret! You're the only one that knows. :)





No comments: