Pages

Jul 8, 2011

A Special "Big Brother" Day

We've been telling Gavin for quite some time that he would get to see Cars 2 in the movie theater for his first movie theater experience, and then Baby Sister would be born.  A couple weeks ago, I asked him in the car if he was ready for Sister to be born and he said, "Not quite yet.  I have to go see Cars 2 first."  He remembers everything!  

So, last weekend, we decided to make it a special day for him.  We went to the mall and visited Build-a-Bear first for him to make something special for Baby Sister.  Since he's so interested in the name Aveeno/Aveena (the version he wants changes everyday) we agreed he could make a teddy bear for Sister and name it Aveeno or Aveena.  I was a little worried about what he'd pick because the first time we went into a Build-a-Bear, he picked a camouflage bear, so we left and decided we'd come back.  Then the morning of our visit, he talked about wanting a green bear with baseballs on it.  But, he did a great job designing his bear for Baby Sister!

He was a little unsure of the filling part...it made a loud noise.  

Then he had to check to see if was too soft or just right! 

 The man helped him put the heart inside.

Then it was time for Aveeno to get a bath and be brushed. 

Let's see how this bear feels!  It's perfect! 

And the finished product, along with her birth certificate...


Then we headed to the theater for Cars 2!!!


He was so excited!  He didn't want popcorn so I bought him some M&Ms and we found a booster seat to use since he kept folding up into the seat and we were ready for the movie to start!

I was worried the sound would bother him, but he did great with that.  The Toy Story skit at the beginning of the movie was hilarious.  We did have to leave the theater 5 times - either for potty breaks or just to walk around and stretch.  We did end up leaving a little early, too, but I think the movie was about the end.  I was shocked at how long it was!

I will say I was disappointed with the movie overall.  It wasn't geared towards kids in my opinion. The secret agent/spy theme was way over Gavin's head and I did not like how much shooting and violence there was in the movie.  I'm not sure we'll buy this one on DVD any time soon.  

But, now that Gavin's had his official "Big Brother" day, I guess he's ok with Sister joining us when she's ready now.  :)

No comments: