Pages

Mar 25, 2014

Such a good student!

We are so proud of our little man!  It's doubly rewarding to see report cards and have conferences with Mrs. R - I can't help but smile with pride as both his mommy and a teacher.

It was back in August that Gavin picked up his very first book and read it to me cold....a brand new book we received in the mail that he'd never seen before and he mastered it.  Fast forward to the end of January when we were informed that he tested at a 3rd grade/3rd month reading level!  Seriously?!?!  And, on one of the standardized tests that he was given, he scored in the mid 800s; the scale goes up to 900 for the end of third grade.  So proud!

He's also coming out of his shell a lot at school and making great friends.  Pokemon is a new fascination for him.  He insists we get to school early every morning so he has time to swap cards with the boys.  It makes me laugh because I took away (and threw away!) so many Pokemon cards in the five years I taught.  Boys were always getting in trouble for playing with them instead of doing their work and I never did understand the appeal. Still don't.  But I do appreciate Jarrod trying to learn how to play so he can spend that time with Gavin in the evenings.  Right now, they just play their own version, but they'll start going to the library once a month for a 'Pokemon tutorial' soon.

He's also started Running Club. Every extra-curricular that has come home he has shown no interest in, but when Running Club was announced, he was eager to give it a try.  We got off to a rough start, though.  The very first day, which he was so looking forward to and counting down the days til, they wouldn't let him participate because I didn't complete the online registration for the race they'll be running in May.  I felt like the worst mom in the world when I pulled up to pick him up and he got in crying.  Day two we were all registered and I knew he'd be able to run.  I get there to pick him up to find him with his hand all wrapped up because he fell on his first lap and skinned the palm of his hand on the gravel.  But, since then, he's been doing great and even ran 1.5 miles last week!  On Friday, I picked him up and the lady doing the car line called his name as, 'Gavin Pate.  Our running star, Gavin Pate!' and then she turned her mic off and told me how much she loved running with him and said that from her time as a track coach, she really feels that Gavin has a natural gait and will be a really successful runner.  Our uncoordinated, clumsy kid that fell on his first time around the track???  :)  How exciting to hear!  I can't wait to go out on a run with him.

Of course, he's not the perfect child.  We need to work on his handwriting and get him to be more creative in his writing.  He has a lot more potential than the '...and...and....and' sentences he's been doing.  I'm trying to find ways to encourage him to do more creative thinking at home.

Overall, we're so excited with how his kindergarten year has gone and cannot believe we're only a few months away from it ending.  It's all downhill from here....I know each year is just going to feel like it goes faster and faster.

No comments: