Geez...I've been an emotional mess lately. Seriously, I'm always emotional, but it just seems to be worse the last couple of weeks. Our baby girl turning one combined with the Olympics and then throw in the fact that I'm weaning Riley and my hormones are all screwed up means lots of tears!
Earlier this week, I was driving, my mind wandering, just thinking about all the things I had to do this week. As I was thinking about which days I had to have the kids up and ready to go early, Gavin and I started talking about how school starts back next month and I started thinking about how last year, Riley was awake every morning in time to go to preschool, but lately she's been sleeping later so I'll have to wake her up to get Gavin to school on M, W, and F. And then it hit me. Like a ton of bricks and tears filled my eyes. I only have ONE YEAR left with Gavin home with me before he starts kindergarten. ONE YEAR!!! The year-round school that I want Gavin to go to started this week. Seriously, this time next year, we'll be starting school. I'm not sure how we got here so quickly, but all I know is that I want to spend the next year enjoying every single minute with my boy here with me. It's going to be so weird to only have Riley home with me and have him be at school every day.
And then...there are the Olympics. They say that having kids changes everything, and it's funny to me how being a mom has even changed how I watch the Olympics. The summer games are always more exciting to me than the winter ones. I love watching swimming, diving, and gymnastics. I can remember watching Kerri Strug's vault on a warm summer night in the family room (which was what back then, mom and dad? The black and red room? The futon room? Lol.) This year, I watch them with Gavin and listen to him chant, 'Go USA! Go USA!' and I love how he watches the leader board pop up and tells me what place the USA is in. His GI Joe action figures and super heroes are all doing gymnastic routines around here and pretending to dive off the ottomans. Last night, repeating what he'd heard one of the commentators say, he told Jarrod and I that one day, he'd be a star athlete and compete at the Olympics. *love* And then, there's the gymnastics, and how I watch them now and not only empathize for these young girls competing at an international level, but I imagine being their mom and the pride and anxiety I feel for them is crazy. The other day, Facebook ruined the results for me....stupid spoilers. Still, I DVR'd them and watched them with tears streaming down my face, already knowing they'd won the gold, but I just couldn't imagine my own little girl being there competing like that. I was so proud of them!
Ok, off to wipe my tears away and play 'Olympic volleyball' with my future star athlete!
No comments:
Post a Comment