Pages

Jan 30, 2014

Thirteen Thursday

I'm getting calls and texts asking me more about what I've learned in this 30 day challenge I'm doing, so I've compiled some things to share for today's Thirteen Thursday.  {I am by no means an expert...I'm only in the very beginning of this lifestyle change!}

1. Drink a lot of water!  Figure out how many time you'd need to refill your water bottle to get at least 100 oz a day and keep track of it.  For me, I have a dry erase board on my fridge and I keep a tally of how many times I refill it so I make sure to get to five.

2. Adding in weights to my workout routine has made me feel so much stronger in just a few weeks.  Marta (the fitness trainer) wanted us to lift four days a week, so I've used my 10lb weights at home and used the machines at the fitness center for doing things I can't do at home, like my back and legs.

3. Use a program like My Fitness Pal to track your calories.  Realizing portion sizes and exactly how many calories you're taking in is eye opening.

4. You have to think outside the bread :)  I used to eat a lot of wheat apparently.  Now some favorite meals for me are:
Breakfast: Eggs with turkey sausage or Chex cereal (gluten free) with almond milk

Lunch: Nitrate/Nitrite free lunchmeat with hummus rolled up, bell peppers, and fruit or a salad with chicken breast and salsa as my dressing
Snacks: Smoothie with almond milk, a banana, a tbsp of peanut butter and a small handful of spinach (I promise, it doesn't add any taste...just the nutritional value!), carrots with hummus, an apple with peanut butter
Dinner: Turkey burgers (without a bun) and sweet potatoes, chicken fajitas with corn tortillas and rice and beans, or fried rice (using brown rice and lots of veggies)

5. The more you have something, the more likely you are to grow to enjoy it!  We tell the kids that all the time.  The first day I put almond milk in my coffee instead of creamer, I was choking it down.  By the end of the first two weeks, I could easily tolerate it.  I bought peanuts as a snack because it was on her recommended list even though I hate nuts.  I don't love them still, but can get through a small handful to get some good protein and fat in me without making a face now.

6. Find blogs or groups on Facebook that inspire you and educate you.  I really am loving all the sisters at www.fourfitsisters.com.  Marta is the one doing our fitness challenge, but they all do a little variation of it.  Check the blog to find out more about their next ones!  Definitely worth the $30 I paid for this challenge.

7. Drink a large glass of room temperature-warm water with juice from half a lemon as soon as you wake up.  It helps get your metabolism up, as well as gives you a boost of vitamin C and is supposed to help clear your skin, too!

8. Wear a heart rate monitor when you're working out.  I just got a new one and I love wearing it because it is motivating to see the number go up as you're working out.  Sometimes I'll be close to the end of my workout but I'll see I'm at like 268 calories burned and I'll push myself longer so I can get to 300.

9. Skinnytaste.com is one of my favorite websites to get recipes from!

10. Make a Motivation Board.  For me, it's a chalkboard in our bathroom.  I track my weekly weigh-ins, write out what workouts I want to do for the week, have a picture of a bikini I'd love to buy, and add an inspiration quote to it.  I like that Jarrod can see it and can ask me about it - helps keep me accountable when he says, 'How was your ab class today?' etc.

11. Share your goals with someone.  Having a goal buddy is a great way to stay on track.

12. Take measurements and photos of yourself; don't rely on the scale.  Sometimes your body is changing but it isn't reflected on the scale.  Don't get discouraged.

13.  Remember - it's not a diet...it's a lifestyle that will help you get healthier, for yourself and your family!

No comments: