Pages

Sep 8, 2011

Preschool Update

I promise, more pictures will be uploaded soon enough!  But for now, a quick update!  We spent the last couple of days practicing how to ask Miss Linda (or Miss Libby) for help.  After talking about it many times, I think what may have happened is that he was at the top of the slide and got scared and didn't want to go down, so another child pushed him down.  He's going through an "I'm scared..." phase.  So, that's what we worked on, and reminded him to tell the teacher if he had to use the potty, and practiced drinking out of a cup without a lid.  

I was so glad that there weren't any tears this morning when we packed up the car to head to school.  I left a little early so I could take him in to use the potty there before he went into class to see if that helped, and ding ding ding!  I saw the problem immediately.  Unfortunately, the bathrooms aren't in the classrooms, and not only that, they're using adult sized restrooms with handicapped toilets (with a stool).  So I knew right away that he hadn't used the bathroom on Tuesday because he wasn't sure what to do.  I asked him, and he said he didn't want to sit on the potty because he was afraid he'd fall.  Preschool is turning out to be quite a learning experience for mommy!  I'm realizing all these things that I haven't helped him learn to do!  So, after showing him how he could use the stool to stand up to pee, and talking with him, the teacher, and the director about what he should do, I left him playing in his room happily with my fingers crossed that he'd have a great day.  

I used my 'free time' (seriously...it's crazy to pull out of the parking lot with only Riley asleep in the car!) to run in Target and head to a doctor's appt for me, and then waited patiently in the parking lot until 11:00.  As soon as I walked, Libby told me he had a much better day.  I was so thrilled to walk into his classroom and hear him say, "Mommy!" and see his face light up.  He couldn't wait to show me the craft he'd made (Mr. Square!) and tell me that he used the potty and no one pushed him down the slide! :)  What an awesome mommy moment!

Now, let's just hope the rest of the year goes well!

No comments: