There have been reports of minor earthquakes on a few occasions since moving here, but we never felt anything. Saturday night, Jarrod went to the UofA football game, and the kids and I were at a birthday party. I got them home and in bed, then snuggled up in bed for some TV while waiting for Jarrod to get home. He walked in around 10:45 or so and went into the closet to put some pajamas on. While he was in there, I noticed something. Things started to shake...at first I thought it was wind, but it continued for about 30-40 seconds. I jumped up out of bed, and Jarrod came out of the closet. I remember saying, 'What was that???' Jarrod asked if I thought it was wind, which was my first thought, too. But, I told him it was too long and thought it was an earthquake! It stopped, and we both climbed into bed and switched it to the news. It wasn't talking about any earthquakes, so I grabbed my phone to check the 'real' news source...Facebook! Sure enough - the first 9 status updates were all from local friends - "Did anyone else feel that earthquake?" "My house just shook!" "What was that?!?!" etc. And, soon enough, the news started reporting on the earthquake afterall. It appears that a 5.6 magnitude earthquake occurred near Oklahoma City and was felt in many different states. How crazy is that!
Nov 7, 2011
All Shook Up
Things sure have
been crazy here the past year, and from what long-time residents tell
us, it's not the norm. We've had record snowfall, record rainfall,
record heat...not to mention the crazy week of storms and tornado
threats. Well, let's add earthquakes to the list!
There have been reports of minor earthquakes on a few occasions since moving here, but we never felt anything. Saturday night, Jarrod went to the UofA football game, and the kids and I were at a birthday party. I got them home and in bed, then snuggled up in bed for some TV while waiting for Jarrod to get home. He walked in around 10:45 or so and went into the closet to put some pajamas on. While he was in there, I noticed something. Things started to shake...at first I thought it was wind, but it continued for about 30-40 seconds. I jumped up out of bed, and Jarrod came out of the closet. I remember saying, 'What was that???' Jarrod asked if I thought it was wind, which was my first thought, too. But, I told him it was too long and thought it was an earthquake! It stopped, and we both climbed into bed and switched it to the news. It wasn't talking about any earthquakes, so I grabbed my phone to check the 'real' news source...Facebook! Sure enough - the first 9 status updates were all from local friends - "Did anyone else feel that earthquake?" "My house just shook!" "What was that?!?!" etc. And, soon enough, the news started reporting on the earthquake afterall. It appears that a 5.6 magnitude earthquake occurred near Oklahoma City and was felt in many different states. How crazy is that!
There have been reports of minor earthquakes on a few occasions since moving here, but we never felt anything. Saturday night, Jarrod went to the UofA football game, and the kids and I were at a birthday party. I got them home and in bed, then snuggled up in bed for some TV while waiting for Jarrod to get home. He walked in around 10:45 or so and went into the closet to put some pajamas on. While he was in there, I noticed something. Things started to shake...at first I thought it was wind, but it continued for about 30-40 seconds. I jumped up out of bed, and Jarrod came out of the closet. I remember saying, 'What was that???' Jarrod asked if I thought it was wind, which was my first thought, too. But, I told him it was too long and thought it was an earthquake! It stopped, and we both climbed into bed and switched it to the news. It wasn't talking about any earthquakes, so I grabbed my phone to check the 'real' news source...Facebook! Sure enough - the first 9 status updates were all from local friends - "Did anyone else feel that earthquake?" "My house just shook!" "What was that?!?!" etc. And, soon enough, the news started reporting on the earthquake afterall. It appears that a 5.6 magnitude earthquake occurred near Oklahoma City and was felt in many different states. How crazy is that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment