Pages

Dec 4, 2009

Fun Times Friday

Today is the day I make buckeyes!!! My favorite holiday tradition ~ well, one of them, at least. It started when Megan and I were much younger, helping mom make buckeyes for all the people she works for. When I went away to college, mom sent Jarrod and I care packages to our dorms full of buckeyes. I remember opening my box and finding crumbled buckeyes everyone, yet Jarrod's arrived perfectly! Apparently she wrapped his box better.

When Jarrod and I got an apartment of our own, I continued the buckeye tradition with Angie, Heidi and Lauren. It was part of our gift exchange. I wish I had that silly picture we set the self-timer up to take that year...us all lined up with one of us (I think it was Heidi) holding a peanut butter ball on toothpick! :)

The first year we moved to Centerville, and I hadn't made many close friends yet, I made buckeyes alone....and cried while doing it! I missed my Toledo friends! But eventually, I made wonderful friends at Shaw, and we made buckeyes at Lindsay's house one year. Great memories! And when Angie, Heidi, and Lauren and I got together for a girls' night gift exchange, we always tried to make buckeyes.

Last year's buckeyes were a failure - once again I was making buckeyes alone. Jarrod was in NY, and it never worked out to get together with friends to make them. I always gave buckeyes to my parent volunteers, so I desperately needed to get them done. Not easy with a 7 month old. For some reason, Gavin didn't cooperate in the buckeye making and they turned out horrible...I think I only got half my batched dipped.

This year, I'm excited to make new memories in my buckeye making extravaganza! I wanted to make it a playgroup event, but I knew Gavin wouldn't do well with too many kids over here so I limited it to just two other moms. Danielle and Shara are coming in an hour or so to make buckeyes with me with Evan, Antonio, and Gavin play and watch Sesame Street. I'm so excited! I'll try to take pictures so I can post them. I can't wait until I can make buckeyes, and many wonderful memories, with Gavin....just like I did with my mommy! :)

No comments: