Pages

May 2, 2010

Sunshine

"You Are My Sunshine" has always been on the list of songs I sing to Gavin. When we did sleep training at 15 months and created more of a routine, it became a regular song. We'd read books, then one of us would rock him while we sang "You Are Our Sunshine" (we changed the words a little since we were both singing!) When Gavin moved to his twin bed, we still followed the same routine. Now, he's not interested in being rocked though. We sit together on his bed and read a few books, and then he lays right down on his pillow while I sing. Last night was no different - we read The Cat in the Hat and Mommy's Little Star before singing. First, I sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with him. I love hearing him try to sing that with me. I was still laying right next to him, and he was being silly and smiling. I said, "What song should we sing next, Gav?" and he looked at me with this adorable little grin and said, "Sunshine!" It was so sweet! He's never requested that song before, but to me, it was like his way of telling me that that song is a special part of his bedtime routine. It brought tears to my eyes.

Jarrod and I always took turns doing the bedtime routine with Gavin, or we did it together. When I have a Tastefully Simple party, Jarrod's in charge. Since I haven't had a party in a while because of moving, I've kind of taken over the bedtime routine. I'm not sure how it happened; Daddy still comes in to kiss Gavin, but the reading and singing has been all me lately. And, I love it! It's such a special time for us - I try to lay there next to him and soak it all in. I know someday he won't need me to read and sing to him. So for now, I'll take all the snuggles, smiles, books, and songs I can get. I love you, Gav. You are our sunshine!

No comments: