Pages

Sep 6, 2011

Gavin's first day at preschool

Today was Gavin's first day of preschool!  It's so hard to believe he started school...  

Everything was ready to go last night so we had a smooth morning...


He woke up super excited.  We went through his routine - you know me, I have a step by step routine posted in the bathroom - and he was ready to go in record time!



I loved how excited he was...


We got there and I could immediately hear some kids crying.  I was hoping that wouldn't be us...  The kids have to wash their hands before they go into their classroom.  I was so surprised that even with the stool, he couldn't reach the soap!  He's still so little!  He pushed his way through the crowd to go right into his classroom. Miss Linda showed him his cubby, and of course, he wouldn't look at me for a picture.



Then, Jarrod and I left.  He hugged us goodbye and there were NO tears, nothing!  I felt so good leaving...I didn't even cry!

At about 10:15, Jarrod texted me to see how I thought he was doing.  I thought that was cute...he was thinking about his day while he was working.

I showed up to get him right at 11, and my heart sunk when I saw him.  He was crying, and wearing his extra pair of shorts.  I put Riley's seat down and hugged him, and in between sobs, I heard something about being pushed down the slide.  I asked him if that's why he was in different shorts (thinking maybe the slide was wet???) and he said yes.  But, then Miss Libby (the director) came over and told me he had a great day until the playground.

She said they noticed he was crying as they were leaving the playground, but he wouldn't tell them why.  Then, once they were back in the classroom, he had a potty accident.  :(  While she was helping him change, he told her someone pushed him down the slide.  We talked about how he should tell the teacher, and make sure to use the potty, and I tried to get him to show me what he did to get his mind off things, but he wasn't too interested.  

I got him loaded in the car and told him I was going to take him to Chick-fil-a for a special lunch for his first day, but he just wanted to go home (What?!?!  This must be serious! Haha...)  On the way home, while playing a game on my phone, he said, "I wanted you when I was sad, Mommy."  And...cue the tears.  I had held it together all morning, but now, there I was driving down the street and trying not to let Gavin know I was crying.  I did the normal mom thing - told him that I would always come get him, but he told me I was gone too long.  He missed me.  :(

I got a little more out of him.  He played with airplanes by himself, and liked the playground.  He wasn't hungry so he didn't eat snack and they had apple juice but he didn't drink any.  I asked him why, because he loves apple juice, and he said because he needed a lid.  Another mental note - work with him on drinking out of a regular cup!  

We came home and had a picnic lunch in the backyard and I showered him with love!  I just hope he doesn't have a negative memory of preschool and that Thursday's drop off goes well.  Fingers crossed he still wants to go.

2 comments:

Hannah Carter said...

Oh mercy! I'm just about in tears reading that! Poor Gav. I hope Thursday goes much better for him. Maybe it was just a first day thing and getting used to the new routine/kids/teacher. Hugs to you, Mama! I hope YOU have a stress free second day too.

Megan said...

Aww poor little guy! Good luck tomorrow!