Pages

May 8, 2012

Touching

Two things have crossed my path recently that really spoke to me.  First, I turned on The Doctors yesterday while I was filling out some paperwork.  I'm not sure why I turned it on, because I don't usually watch the show, but I just wanted some background noise and it was the most interesting thing on at the time.  But the first half of the show focused on distracted driving, something that most of us are guilty about.  I've read many articles and heard news articles about the dangers of distracted driving, but this show went beyond that.  They showed a simulation of a car accident and then having to tell his wife that he'd been in an accident; telling him the passengers in the other car didn't survive; telling him he'd lost his ability to walk; and telling their kids what happened.  I was in tears (which, yes, isn't hard to do for me, but still...)  I'm always on Jarrod about using his phone while he's driving to read messages, especially while the kids are in the car, but I'm just as guilty because I talk on my phone.  It's something that I feel like needs to change.  It's something that I want to talk to him about when he gets back from Florida and make some new rules.  My biggest thing is that when I get in the car in the morning, I always call my mom to say good morning.  It will be weird, but I think I need to stop that, too.  I'll just have to call you before I leave the house, mom! :)  There are too many distraction as it is when driving with two kids in the car, and my phone shouldn't be one of them.  
Speaking of phones, the other thing that really touched me was this blog article:  How To Miss a Childhood  Talk about getting the tears flowing.  I don't want us to miss our babies growing up, yet we do spend so much time, like so many people do, with technology.  I'm already working on new 'rules' for the house this summer regarding tv and computer time because Gavin's in a phase where he loves playing on the computer.  While most of the games are educational in some way or another, Jarrod and I still decided it was time to set better limits on technology and I think the same needs to be said for our phones. I think it's a good read for all my mommy friends.  Check it out, and let me know what you think.  
 

No comments: