Pages

Jan 16, 2012

You know what time it is?

It's Angry Bird Time!  I can't tell you how many times a day we hear that phrase.  To say that Gavin is obsessed with Angry Birds is an understatement.  At first, I was a little upset that he even learned about it honestly.  I'd paid for all these educational, cute apps on my phone, and all he wanted to play was Angry Birds.  But, the teacher in me knew I could figure out a way to make it work to our benefit.  

Gavin started using his groceries to build boards not long after getting his first Angry Bird from Memaw.  He'd stack the cans, ice cream cones, boxes - anything he could, really - just to knock them over with one quick toss of the bird.  Soon, his collection grew, and we knew exactly what to ask Santa for...big blocks!  Since Christmas, I can't think of a single day that we haven't played Angry Birds, but now we're physically playing, not just on my phone.  

We have to build him a board every night after he goes to sleep to surprise him.  Then, we build boards.  All.Day.Long.   Here are some of his boards - all built by him!  Some of them he even took the picture, so ignore the cropping, etc.






 Last night, he even got creative and took Riley's stacking toy apart to give each bird and pig their own helmet!  We were wondering what he was doing behind the couch...
 To put another spin on things, I started giving him directions and he had to follow them to build his boards.  I'd say, 'Use 3 blue, 4 green, and 6 yellow' and he'd do it.  He loved following the directions so much, that made him a little set of cards so he can pick one and make his board. 
At this rate, we'll definitely be having an Angry Bird 4th birthday party!  He is already asking for his own launcher...  Oh boy!

1 comment:

Katie said...

This is so incredibly creative! I'm impressed that you thought to give him cards! I bet you were an amazing teacher.