Pages

Jul 20, 2010

Making Play Educational

Ok, so it's the teacher in me....what can I say??? I'm always trying to find ways to make what Gavin's doing more educational. Well, recently he climbed up on a chair and got the grilling tongs that I'd just washed off the kitchen counter and was so fascinated by them. I let him play around with them for a little while, but then decided to get into "teacher mode" and showed him how to use the tongs to pick up blocks and drop them in the basket. He was so focused!

After a while, he started to get frustrated. He could get the block in the tongs, but about half of the time he'd drop it before getting to the basket. So, I switched out his tool and gave him a large spoon and he scooped the blocks up for a little while.

So much fun doing something so simple....who would have thought? I'm thinking that in the fall I'll start doing some "preschool homeschooling" type activities with him since we won't be sending him to preschool for another year or so.

2 comments:

Megan said...

He's going to be a genius! (Just like his Aunt Meggie, haha) Do you think you'll homeschool him? Just curious...

Also, when I first saw that 1st photo of him with the tongs I thought it was a giant steak knife...thank goodness it isn't!

Jen said...

You're so funny. I think it was a steak knife, my title should have been "Making Play Dangerous!" :) I don't think I'll homeschool him. The socialization part of school is way too important. Just thinking about doing something for preschool. So many parents are sending their kids to preschool at 2 or now. Gavin wil be at least 3 1/2 before he goes so I'll do some things here instead. :)